South Portland’s “Winterfest 2014” this Friday and Saturday!
Loads of winter family fun coming at you this Friday and Saturday in South Portland! Check out the many activities and events happening to celebrate this beautiful season in Maine!
Friday, January 31:
- Luminary Walk from Knightville to Mill Creek Park 4:30-5:30pm events and in store specials throughout Knightville! Departing from CIA cafe at 5:30pm.
- Skating Party- Mill Creek Park 6:00-8:00pm S’Mores…available while they last!
The following stores invite you to visit from 4:30-6:00 pm:
- Starting at 72 Ocean St. at the CIA Café, children may decorate a coffee cup sleeve and receive a free ice cream or hot chocolate. Check out the Winter Bike on display by Knightville cyclist and bicycle designer, John Baldwin. Watch cartoonist Matt Baker create an original cartoon out of pen and ink, pet or feed a little goat from a local farm, sample mini cupcakes from Sweet Tooth Cupcake Company and listen to the sweet sounds of “Seagrass,” the original five-piece Bluegrass band from SoPo! All of these activities are brought to the community by Jeannie Dunnigan, owner of CIA Café. Interact Club members from S. P. and C.E. High Schools gathered there to create the 200 luminaries for the street walk to Mill Creek Park.
- Across the street at 79 Ocean St., Alaina Marie, a new shop in Knightville specializing in handmade marine bags, will offer a FREE trinket made from marine mesh for the kiddies. The artist studio will be open for you to experience original works on canvas by artist, Britta Bruce.
- At 87 Ocean St., you’ll find Designs by Lucinda. Kids can make their own Free Valentine’s Day pin here. Lucinda has been raising funds and awareness for non-profits for 25 years!
- Stop by and say hello to Flair for Hair at 91 Ocean St. They’re open and have been in business for 17 years.
- Legion Square Market will be open and has been going strong since 1939! They are offering FREE sliders made with their own house ground beef.
- Further down the street at 103 Ocean St., drop in to Verbena to listen to a guitar and vibraphone duo while sipping half-priced hot chocolate. This is the time for a perfect family sing-along! Owner Melissa Coriaty encourages this for all!
- At 105 Ocean St., you’ll find The Lamp Repair Shop which has been recycling lamps since 1986. Stop by and check out all the lighting—repurposed and original.
- And, of course, there will be other shops open in Mill Creek Plaza, such as NoneSuch Books, so look around to see your community friends and their unique shops.
- Scavenger Hunt winners announced at 7pm!
- COAST 93.1 on location broadcast from 6-8pm and Wing Eating Contest with Buffalo Wild Wings!
Saturday, February 1:
- Cape Elizabeth Lions Pancake Breakfast 7:30-9:30am at JP Thornton’s, 740 Broadway Scavenger Hunt Winners announced at 8:00am
- SPHS Hockey Boosters Chili and Chowder Challenge 11:30am-1:30pm at South Portland Community Center
1st Annual WinterFest Pond Hockey Tournament, 12:00pm-4:00pm
At Wainwright Recreation Complex:
Ice Rink Dedication 9:30am
Wagon Rides 10am- 1pm
Kids’ Ice Hockey Clinics lead by Former Maine Mariner Wayne Schaab 10:00am – 11:30am
Snow Sculpture Contest 10:00am- 1:00pm
Ice Sculpture Demonstrations 11:00am- 12:30pm
Turkey Curling & Score-O Contest 11:30am- 12:30pm
Snow Shoe Hikes and Cross Country Skiing 1:00pm- 3:30pm
South Portland Winterfest 2014
January 31 and February 1, 2014
South Portland Parks & Recreation
Mill Creek Park and Wainwright Farms Recreation Complex